A new slope set to open at Marmot Basin this winter is steep, deep, wide open, and not for the faint of heart.
The area, known as Tres Hombres, is not for skiers who haven’t mastered much beyond the pizza — the north-facing, treeless slope features five expert runs, more than 1,200 vertical feet and has the resort’s longest uninterrupted fall-line.
“Your legs are gonna be sore by the time you get to the bottom, let’s put it that way,” skier Ryan Titchener told CBC Edmonton’s Radio Active.
The new area is undergoing safety checks by avalanche control teams, but is expected to open soon. It has some of the Jasper ski resort’s steepest terrain, and is accessible from the Paradise quad chair, so there’s no hiking or scrambling necessary to drop in.
Titchener has skied Marmot hundreds of times and worked as an avalanche technician on the mountain. Tres Hombres is three times the length of Charlie’s Bowl and will give skiers and boarders more of a backcountry feel, he said.
“It’s a big run. You’re going to need a little bit of time to rest afterwards, take the chair back up. If you’re lapping that thing all day you’re going to have quads of steel, for sure,” he said.
“You’re going to be putting in 50, 60, 70 turns, and if you can make it down to the bottom without stopping, good on ya.”
The runs have an average slope of 32 degrees, with the steepest being 45 degrees. They end at a short trail that leads back to the base of the Paradise chair. It’s about a 30-minute round trip — depending how fast you ski, of course.
Titchener uses a sit ski and says he’s anxious to be the first sit ski on the new slope.
Marmot Basin opened for the season on Nov. 10. Titchener says early-season skiing is looking great, and snow continued to fall on the mountain Monday.
“The whole season right now is shaping up to be a really good, positive one,” he says.
“Hopefully, the snow gods like us this year and they just keep bringing it, because they’ve already brought it. It’s go time.”
Therefore keep the words of this covenant, and do them, that you may prosper in all that you do. – Deuteronomy 29:9
USA News Headlines
- Navy ends its search for 3 missing sailors in the Philippine Sea
- Can the world's mightiest naval fleet survive the perfect storm?
- McClatchy report details alleged Manafort flights to Russia, Ukraine
- Pentagon reports increase in misconduct complaints against senior officials
- Rapper's prison sentence sparks outrage
- US pilots alerted to unsafe Russian flying in Syria
- Today is 80th day Trump has spent on his golf properties
- Tips to deal with stress from those who know best
- Online holiday shopping scams to watch out for
- Top 100 Best Jobs in America
- Crowds rush to stores for Black Friday deals
- Horse and buggy driver killed in crash
- Puerto Ricans celebrate Thanksgiving in FL
- Grinch torches VA Christmas tree
- Wife donates kidney to husband
- 8-year-old wakes up family during fire loss
- Toys for Tots ensures kids Christmas gifts
- Tree of famous bald eagle nest has died
- Dog found beaten, dead in suitcase
- Iguana pops up from woman's toilet
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Several arrested in Black Friday mall protest: report
- Woman wants charge of killing twin in cliff crash dismissed
- Man convicted in Christa Worthington murder: 'I'm not guilty of anything'
- Texas trooper shot and killed during routine traffic stop
- American student allegedly raped by Italian police officer tells her story
- Man charged with killing Texas trooper who had stopped him
- Dreamers stage protest during Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- FedEx worker killed in accident at Memphis hub
- A who's who in the murder case of Christa Worthington
- Dog rescued after chasing cat into 5-foot deep hole dug by tortoise
- Memorial services to be held for Border Patrol agent whose death remains a mystery
- The Latest: Funeral set for slain Texas state trooper
- 'Mattress Mack' feeds thousands at Thanksgiving dinner
- WATCH: 'Mattress Mack' feeds thousands at Thanksgiving dinner
- WATCH: Restaurant worker helps man struggling to cut pancakes in sweet video
- WATCH: Milwaukee residents camp out for brewery's specialty Black Friday beers
- WATCH: Fashion students transform wedding gowns into completely new outfits
- WATCH: This season's top-rated kid-tested toys
- WATCH: 'Ugly' Christmas rompers for men are trending this holiday season
- WATCH: Indiana teacher arrested for allegedly doing drugs