A new slope set to open at Marmot Basin this winter is steep, deep, wide open, and not for the faint of heart.
The area, known as Tres Hombres, is not for skiers who haven’t mastered much beyond the pizza — the north-facing, treeless slope features five expert runs, more than 1,200 vertical feet and has the resort’s longest uninterrupted fall-line.
“Your legs are gonna be sore by the time you get to the bottom, let’s put it that way,” skier Ryan Titchener told CBC Edmonton’s Radio Active.
The new area is undergoing safety checks by avalanche control teams, but is expected to open soon. It has some of the Jasper ski resort’s steepest terrain, and is accessible from the Paradise quad chair, so there’s no hiking or scrambling necessary to drop in.
Titchener has skied Marmot hundreds of times and worked as an avalanche technician on the mountain. Tres Hombres is three times the length of Charlie’s Bowl and will give skiers and boarders more of a backcountry feel, he said.
“It’s a big run. You’re going to need a little bit of time to rest afterwards, take the chair back up. If you’re lapping that thing all day you’re going to have quads of steel, for sure,” he said.
“You’re going to be putting in 50, 60, 70 turns, and if you can make it down to the bottom without stopping, good on ya.”
The runs have an average slope of 32 degrees, with the steepest being 45 degrees. They end at a short trail that leads back to the base of the Paradise chair. It’s about a 30-minute round trip — depending how fast you ski, of course.
Titchener uses a sit ski and says he’s anxious to be the first sit ski on the new slope.
Marmot Basin opened for the season on Nov. 10. Titchener says early-season skiing is looking great, and snow continued to fall on the mountain Monday.
“The whole season right now is shaping up to be a really good, positive one,” he says.
“Hopefully, the snow gods like us this year and they just keep bringing it, because they’ve already brought it. It’s go time.”
Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to the overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. – Proverbs 3:9-10
USA News Headlines
- Failures mark week of stunning revelations
- FBI was warned that gunman was 'going to explode'
- Deputies were outside school when police arrived, sources say
- Teacher: I'm supposed to be a gun expert?
- Here's Florida governor's plan to keep students safe
- This Texas school district already arms its teachers
- Bullets flew for 4 minutes as armed deputy waited outside
- Analysis: This proves a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun
- Officer responded to school shooting knowing son and wife were inside
- Meet the Mueller team
- What is Adam Schiff's next political move?
- The life and career of Robert Mueller
- Parkland survivor tells Melania Trump: To combat cyberbullying, start with Trump Jr.
- Why the NRA is so powerful on Capitol Hill
- For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
- How does KFC run out of chicken?
- Asia wants some of Trump's infrastructure billions
- Community creates cards of love and kindness for Parkland
- Teen diagnosed with myocarditis after getting cold
- Health official warns of possible measles exposure
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Central US bracing for major storm system that may cause tornadoes, flooding
- Growing list of companies are cutting ties with NRA
- 3 killed across 3 southern states following reported tornadoes
- Woman fatally stabbed with hunting knife at public library
- Gay parade permit sparks major debate in Mississippi
- Sheriff investigating other deputies' whereabouts during Fla. school shooting
- NRA, Florida face backlash after latest school shooting
- Evangelist Billy Graham's body in 130-mile procession to his hometown
- Beyond Parkland, children are wounded and killed by guns daily: Study
- WATCH: Eyewitness captures on video a reported tornado in Arkansas
- WATCH: American men's bobsledding team in their final race of the season
- WATCH: Ivanka Trump and senior advisor calling for maximum pressure on North Korea
- WATCH: Couple's honeymoon cruise turns into a medical nightmare
- WATCH: Mother and daughter in a violent shootout with an armed robbery
- WATCH: NRA fighting back after school shooting
- WATCH: School deputy failed to respond on time resigns
- WATCH: Severe weather threat sweeping across at least a dozen states
- WATCH: Sheriff investigates reports that 3 other deputies failed to respond to Florida school shooting
- WATCH: States of emergency declared as Midwest battles severe flash floods
- WATCH: New charges for the parents accused of allegedly holding their 13 children captive