Expectant parents in Saskatoon are weighing their options when it comes to parental leave.
The federal government will give new moms and dads the option to take an extra six months off work to be with their newborns.
The current system allows parents to take 12 months paternity leave with 55 per cent weekly salary, capped at $543 per week. The changes will give parents the choice for an extended leave of 18 months with 33 per cent wage, capped at $326 per week.
“It’s the same amount of money just over 18 months, so you’d have to stretch your earnings,” Charmaine Sheridan, a Saskatoon mother of two who is currently on maternity leave from her human resources job, said.
Sheridan said she wouldn’t take the extended option, but knows her sister would.
“She would have made it work financially because she really wanted to be at home with her kids as much as she could,” Sheridan told CTV News.
For some mothers an extended leave would make finding a daycare easier.
“They really struggle because a lot of the daycares only take babies that are 18 months plus, so they don’t know what to do when they go back to work after 12 months because they can’t find a daycare spot to take their 12-month-old,” Jennie Vessey, director of Mommy Connections Saskatoon, a mother networking platform, said.
The changes to the paternity leave are set to come into effect Dec. 3.
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- Mom and son scramble 4 times to stay out of fire's path
- California wildfires have destroyed 1,000 structures
- Skies turn orange as fires rage in California
- The wildfires by the numbers
- Woman who survived turns home into donation site for victims
- Alabama winner may not take office until 2018
- Jones: We have shown the country we can unify
- How partisanship won the Alabama election
- Democrats face tough choice on DACA
- Google wants you to experiment with new photo apps
- America's malls are rotting away
- This company can build an apartment in two weeks
- Parents keeping bullied child from school out of fear
- Doug Jones working for conservative votes
- K9 helps find missing 7-year-old
- Dogs rescued from dog meat market
- Complete stranger donates house
- Deputy's K9 found dead
- Couple's car doors stolen overnight
- Recovering addict creates dog shelter
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Senior FBI agent removed from Mueller's team repeatedly called Trump 'an idiot'
- Skirball fire sparked by illegal cooking fire, California officials say
- 23-year-old Google employee found dead in San Francisco Bay
- Mom of boy behind viral anti-bullying video speaks out after backlash
- El Faro captain partly responsible for ship's sinking: NTSB
- Student and driver die in school bus fire
- Tennessee man arrested for having 5 pipe bombs in his home
- NYC bombing suspect wrote on Facebook, 'Trump you failed to protect your nation'
- How gun laws have changed since Sandy Hook
- Would-be suicide bomber in New York City faces court hearing
- NTSB blames captain, bad safety culture for loss of El Faro
- McMaster previews new national security strategy ahead of next week's official debut
- Alleged serial killer pleads not guilty from jail
- WATCH: Alabama voters head to polls for divisive Senate race
- WATCH: 6 Democratic senators call on Trump to resign over sexual misconduct claims
- WATCH: Viewers help Talia Duff raise money for rare progressive disease clinical trial
- WATCH: Mayor of San Francisco dies after collapsing inside grocery store
- WATCH: Online holiday sales expected to top $100 billion in US for the 1st time
- WATCH: 2 people killed after being stuck inside a burning school bus
- WATCH: Authorities reveal more details on NYC subway bomber Akayed Ullah