Sekani Dakelth has seen first-hand the effects of the current overdose crisis in our province. That’s why she has spent the past month sharing her stories as part of the How To Save A Life: Front Line Stories series.
Dakelth is one of eight people presenting stories of both experience and loss.
Her message is one of acceptance.
“We’re in a constant state of mourning … if more and more people didn’t use in a dark, dark place, surrounded by stigmatization, they maybe wouldn’t have died. They could have used in the open and people could have been armed with naloxone and saved them,” she said.
“We really had two goals. One was to share stories from people with direct lived experience of the overdose crisis … and the other one was really to equip people all over our city with the skills and the knowledge to be able to respond to overdose when and if they see it happen in their community,” said Jessica Hannon, the executive director of Megaphone.
Hannon says that the stories help to build understanding and compassion to go along with the training.
“That combination of empathy and skill really has the power to save lives,” Hannon said.
Continuing the dialogue
The latest numbers from the B.C. Coroners Service show that more than 1,100 people have died of suspected illicit drug overdoses this year.
“We are on track for 1,500 overdose deaths this year and there is a lot more to do still,” said Hannon.
“Drug use is happening in all of our communities and we would do better to recognize that and respond with compassion, rather than stigmatize people and push people … into dark corners where they’re feeling ashamed and using alone.”
Both Dakelth and Hannon agree that the workshop series has been successful in educating non-drug users.
“I think this event series and the courage of the story tellers to step forward and share these really personal stories is part is something that needs to be a much bigger conversation,” said Hannon.
With files from The Early Edition
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, have an abundance for every good work. – 2 Corinthians 9:8
USA News Headlines
- Navy ends its search for 3 missing sailors in the Philippine Sea
- Can the world's mightiest naval fleet survive the perfect storm?
- McClatchy report details alleged Manafort flights to Russia, Ukraine
- Pentagon reports increase in misconduct complaints against senior officials
- Rapper's prison sentence sparks outrage
- US pilots alerted to unsafe Russian flying in Syria
- Today is 80th day Trump has spent on his golf properties
- Tips to deal with stress from those who know best
- Online holiday shopping scams to watch out for
- Top 100 Best Jobs in America
- Crowds rush to stores for Black Friday deals
- Horse and buggy driver killed in crash
- Puerto Ricans celebrate Thanksgiving in FL
- Grinch torches VA Christmas tree
- Wife donates kidney to husband
- 8-year-old wakes up family during fire loss
- Toys for Tots ensures kids Christmas gifts
- Tree of famous bald eagle nest has died
- Dog found beaten, dead in suitcase
- Iguana pops up from woman's toilet
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Several arrested in Black Friday mall protest: report
- Woman wants charge of killing twin in cliff crash dismissed
- Man convicted in Christa Worthington murder: 'I'm not guilty of anything'
- Texas trooper shot and killed during routine traffic stop
- American student allegedly raped by Italian police officer tells her story
- Man charged with killing Texas trooper who had stopped him
- Dreamers stage protest during Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- FedEx worker killed in accident at Memphis hub
- A who's who in the murder case of Christa Worthington
- Dog rescued after chasing cat into 5-foot deep hole dug by tortoise
- Memorial services to be held for Border Patrol agent whose death remains a mystery
- The Latest: Funeral set for slain Texas state trooper
- 'Mattress Mack' feeds thousands at Thanksgiving dinner
- WATCH: 'Mattress Mack' feeds thousands at Thanksgiving dinner
- WATCH: Restaurant worker helps man struggling to cut pancakes in sweet video
- WATCH: Milwaukee residents camp out for brewery's specialty Black Friday beers
- WATCH: Fashion students transform wedding gowns into completely new outfits
- WATCH: This season's top-rated kid-tested toys
- WATCH: 'Ugly' Christmas rompers for men are trending this holiday season
- WATCH: Indiana teacher arrested for allegedly doing drugs