Sekani Dakelth has seen first-hand the effects of the current overdose crisis in our province. That’s why she has spent the past month sharing her stories as part of the How To Save A Life: Front Line Stories series.
Dakelth is one of eight people presenting stories of both experience and loss.
Her message is one of acceptance.
“We’re in a constant state of mourning … if more and more people didn’t use in a dark, dark place, surrounded by stigmatization, they maybe wouldn’t have died. They could have used in the open and people could have been armed with naloxone and saved them,” she said.
“We really had two goals. One was to share stories from people with direct lived experience of the overdose crisis … and the other one was really to equip people all over our city with the skills and the knowledge to be able to respond to overdose when and if they see it happen in their community,” said Jessica Hannon, the executive director of Megaphone.
Hannon says that the stories help to build understanding and compassion to go along with the training.
“That combination of empathy and skill really has the power to save lives,” Hannon said.
Continuing the dialogue
The latest numbers from the B.C. Coroners Service show that more than 1,100 people have died of suspected illicit drug overdoses this year.
“We are on track for 1,500 overdose deaths this year and there is a lot more to do still,” said Hannon.
“Drug use is happening in all of our communities and we would do better to recognize that and respond with compassion, rather than stigmatize people and push people … into dark corners where they’re feeling ashamed and using alone.”
Both Dakelth and Hannon agree that the workshop series has been successful in educating non-drug users.
“I think this event series and the courage of the story tellers to step forward and share these really personal stories is part is something that needs to be a much bigger conversation,” said Hannon.
With files from The Early Edition
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart. – Psalm 37:4
USA News Headlines
- Failures mark week of stunning revelations
- FBI was warned that gunman was 'going to explode'
- Deputies were outside school when police arrived, sources say
- Teacher: I'm supposed to be a gun expert?
- Here's Florida governor's plan to keep students safe
- This Texas school district already arms its teachers
- Bullets flew for 4 minutes as armed deputy waited outside
- Analysis: This proves a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun
- Officer responded to school shooting knowing son and wife were inside
- Meet the Mueller team
- What is Adam Schiff's next political move?
- The life and career of Robert Mueller
- Parkland survivor tells Melania Trump: To combat cyberbullying, start with Trump Jr.
- Why the NRA is so powerful on Capitol Hill
- For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
- How does KFC run out of chicken?
- Asia wants some of Trump's infrastructure billions
- Community creates cards of love and kindness for Parkland
- Teen diagnosed with myocarditis after getting cold
- Health official warns of possible measles exposure
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Central US bracing for major storm system that may cause tornadoes, flooding
- Armed deputy who did 'nothing' to stop suspect was former employee of the month
- Sheriff investigating other deputies' whereabouts during Fla. school shooting
- Woman fatally stabbed with hunting knife at public library
- More companies sever ties with NRA
- Gay parade permit sparks major debate in Mississippi
- Zoologists puzzled after lioness sprouts mane
- Evangelist Billy Graham's body in 130-mile procession to his hometown
- Siblings allegedly held captive by parents 'starting to make plans for their future'
- The Latest: NRA lobbyist takes issue with Florida gun plans
- GOP tax law boosts income taxes, budgets in some states
- Law enforcement experts analyze Parkland officer's actions
- Beyond Parkland, children are wounded and killed by guns daily: Study
- WATCH: Sheriff investigates reports that 3 other deputies failed to respond to Florida school shooting
- WATCH: States of emergency declared as Midwest battles severe flash floods
- WATCH: New charges for the parents accused of allegedly holding their 13 children captive
- WATCH: Minutes before man's scheduled execution, governor grants clemency: Part 6
- WATCH: Man who planned his family's murder is arrested in Mexico: Part 5
- WATCH: One of two men hired by man who planned his family's murder confesses to cops: Part 4
- WATCH: Son becomes prime suspect in mom, brother's murders: Part 3