Temperatures were as high as 8 C on Sunday, but seasoned Calgarians know this warm weather is just a short respite before the inevitable crush of yet another heavy snowfall.
Monday morning commuters will have to contend with a 10 to 20 centimetre dump of heavy, wet snow, Environment Canada warned on Sunday afternoon, with snowfall beginning Sunday evening and tapering off Monday night.
There is also a chance of freezing rain ahead of the heavy snow in southern Alberta. The agency warned that rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult and reduce visibility.
The warning covers most of Alberta’s foothills and the Rockies, including Calgary, Airdrie, Okotoks, Banff, Kananaskis, Canmore, Crowsnest Pass and Rocky Mountain House.
The alert could be extended further north and to the east as the system develops, according to Environment Canada.
If the snow does sweep further east it could be bad news for those in the Taber and Vauxhall areas, which are under an emergency alert due to heavy overland flooding.
Officials from the M.D. of Taber said Sunday that the combination of warm weather and snow was only likely to worsen the situation over the next 48 hours.
He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD, And He will pay back what he has given. – Proverbs 19:17
USA News Headlines
- Dr. Gupta: Medical marijuana will save many addicted to opioids
- This is why weed is stuck in a legal limbo
- Woman lost 2 sons in one night to opioids; fighting the crisis is now her life's work
- There's a 24-fold rise in organ transplants from drug overdose donors
- Why the electoral battlefield is expanding
- Commuting to work: The future is here
- She bombed the LSAT. She was too short to play Goofy. Now she's a billionaire
- Seattle's proposed tax to fight homelessness may hit Amazon hardest
- Norovirus cancels classes after nearly 100 students fall ill
- Accused murderer's grandma: 'He's a sick boy'
- Police trying to rescue bear from tree
- Senators concerned about offshore drilling impact
- Police investigating possible serial rapist
- Woman uses billboard to find kidney donor
- Baby delivered in backseat of Uber
- Judge leaves post after berating sick inmate
- Family starts scholarship for murder victim
- Restaurants change menus over E. Coli fears
- Nursing mother reporting for jury duty says no lactation room
- Thousands of honeybees rescued from colony
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Manhunt underway for person of interest in shooting of 2 police officers, civilian
- Husband of woman killed on Southwest flight: 'I immediately thought of the kids'
- High school golfer attacked by goose in hilarious set of photos
- The Latest: Suspect faces new charges in shooting
- 'She's owed an apology': Father of woman arrested at Waffle House
- Boy, 5, says teachers taped his mouth shut, threw away his lunch
- As teachers plan to descend on Colorado capitol, lawmakers propose jail for striking
- A joyful reunion with birth parents leads to incest, murder
- Russia likely targeted all 50 states in 2016, but has yet to try again: DHS
- Waffle House hero honored by lawmakers in emotional ceremony
- Fort Worth gang member to die for killing girl, grandmother
- Bill Cosby's lawyer tells jury verdict should not hinge on #MeToo movement
- Police help 84-year-old man by driving him to the hospital to see his sick wife
- WATCH: 2 police officers shot and critically wounded: Authorities
- WATCH: Former President George H.W. Bush 'appears to be recovering': Spokesman
- WATCH: Manhunt underway for person of interest in shooting of 2 police officers, civilian
- WATCH: Music man behind 'School House Rock' dies at the age of 94
- WATCH: Husband of woman killed on Southwest flight shares how he got the news
- WATCH: Pilot forced to eject from F-16 fighter jet after crash
- WATCH: Firefighter rappels from roof to save workers after scaffold collapse