My chase partners (Jim Leonard and Mike Laca) and I intercepted Hurricane Gustav in Morgan City, Louisiana beginning on the morning of September 1st. We experienced wind gusts around 100mph and moderate structural damage. The strongest wind gusts I filmed were around 2:30 and were probably a little over 100mph.
After the eye began to pass over us, we decided to drive NW back through the eyewall again so we could experience the winds at our Hotel in the inland city of Lafayette. The drive through the blinding winds and rain was scary as $#^&! Back at our hotel the winds gusted to 70-80mph. Then the calm eye passed over in the early evening. The second half of the storm had deteriorated as dry air wrapped its way into the hurricane so the second half of the eyewall contained only 40mph wind gusts and little to no rain.
The quality of this video is very poor in relation to how it looks in high quality. I apologize for some of the shaky camera work in the beginning.
USA News Headlines
- Attempted NYC terrorist attack: 3 hurt, 1 in custody
- Mayor: Explosion was attempted terror atttack
- Witness: Dozens of ambulances in the area
- Explosion near Port Authority bus terminal
- Alabama Senate readers' guide: What to watch for and when
- Doug Jones touts celebrity endorsements
- Trump recorded robocall for Roy Moore
- Schiff: Criticisms of Mueller probe meant to discredit potential future charges
- Alabama voters struggle with whether to support Roy Moore
- Sony unleashes the cuteness with new robot dog
- Recovering addict uses passion for pit bulls to create dog shelter
- Parents concerned over Facebook-made curriculum
- PD: Mayor used dead woman's handicap sticker
- Veteran turns 100 on Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Family sells Christmas tree to fight ALS
- Vandals tackle 25-foot inflatable Santa
- Firemen replace stolen Christmas gift
- Fat squirrel steals snacks from family
- Navy mom qualifies for 2020 Olympic Trials
- Flu virus now widespread in Georgia
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Explosive detonates near Times Square in 'attempted terrorist attack'
- Pipe bomb strapped to man explodes in NYC subway, injuring 4
- Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims
- Midwest and Northeast brace for bitter cold, more snow
- California man freed after 15 years for shaken baby death
- Massive California wildfire now the 5th-largest in state's history
- As California firefighters get ahead of some wildfires, others still rage
- 5 years after tragedy, families of Sandy Hook victims work to prevent gun violence
- The Latest: New Jersey increases transit security
- Sexual misconduct often part of the job in hospitality work
- New evacuations as huge Southern California fire flares up
- Idaho man upset with court tries to crash into courthouse
- WWE wrestler suspended after arrest for allegedly battering wife
- WATCH: Witness of explosion at major NYC transit hub: 'I believe in God today!'
- WATCH: Explosive detonates below NYC transit hub in 'attempted terrorist attack'
- WATCH: Woman with breast cancer 'overwhelmed' by breast milk donations
- WATCH: Possible pipe bomb explodes below major bus terminal in NYC, suspect in custody
- WATCH: 3 injured in attempted terror attack at NYC transit hub
- WATCH: 5 years after tragedy, family members of Sandy Hook shooting victims work for change
- WATCH: NYC police respond to reports of explosion at Port Authority Bus Terminal