An eight metre-tall totem pole will soon stand in North Vancouver, recognizing countless missing and murdered Indigenous women.
On Wednesday, elders from the Squamish First Nation blessed the ground where it will stand — exactly 28 years since the tragic shooting at École Polytechnique in Montreal.
Elder Eugene Harry says the pole is also a tribute to those 14 lives lost on one of the darkest days in Canadian history.
“Today is to honour the earth, honour the missing women, honour father sky — and mostly put everyone’s mind at ease that women aren’t forgotten,” said Harry following the blessing.
Michelle Dodds with the North Shore Women’s Centre says the pole is also meant to acknowledge the many women who continue to suffer in silence.
“Violence is still really prevalent, and as we speak we recognize that there are people who are not here because it’s not safe for them to be here,” said Dodds.
RCMP participate in ceremony
The pole will stand just metres outside North Vancouver’s RCMP detatchment. Officers also participated in the ground-blessing ceremony.
Superintendent Chris Kennedy says the totem pole symbolizes the police force’s responsibility to maintaining safe communities across the country.
“We’ve made significant strides in our approaches to domestic violence,” said Kennedy. “Hopefully this ceremony — and the totem pole that will be laid — is a representation of that bond and relationship between what our responsibilities and professional duties are.”
“Any one domestic is one too many.”
North Vancouver mayor Darrell Mussatto hopes the pole will become a significant cultural space in the city — a place where people can reflect on where society needs to improve.
“We do have to treat women and girls much better than we do now,” said Mussatto, noting the tragic history of missing and murdered Indigenous women.
“The way men treat women is abysmal — and we have to change that.”
The totem pole will be carved by Squamish artist Jody Broomfield. It’s expected to be complete by summer, 2018.
And his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord made all he did to prosper in his hand. – Genesis 39:3
USA News Headlines
- Failures mark week of stunning revelations
- FBI was warned that gunman was 'going to explode'
- Deputies were outside school when police arrived, sources say
- Teacher: I'm supposed to be a gun expert?
- Here's Florida governor's plan to keep students safe
- This Texas school district already arms its teachers
- Bullets flew for 4 minutes as armed deputy waited outside
- Analysis: This proves a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun
- Officer responded to school shooting knowing son and wife were inside
- Meet the Mueller team
- What is Adam Schiff's next political move?
- The life and career of Robert Mueller
- Parkland survivor tells Melania Trump: To combat cyberbullying, start with Trump Jr.
- Why the NRA is so powerful on Capitol Hill
- For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
- How does KFC run out of chicken?
- Asia wants some of Trump's infrastructure billions
- Community creates cards of love and kindness for Parkland
- Teen diagnosed with myocarditis after getting cold
- Health official warns of possible measles exposure
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Woman fatally stabbed with hunting knife at public library
- Growing list of companies are cutting ties with NRA
- 3 killed across 3 southern states following reported tornadoes
- Central US bracing for major storm system that may cause tornadoes, flooding
- Sheriff investigating other deputies' whereabouts during Fla. school shooting
- Gay parade permit sparks major debate in Mississippi
- Evangelist Billy Graham's body in 130-mile procession to his hometown
- Beyond Parkland, children are wounded and killed by guns daily: Study
- GOP tax law boosts income taxes, budgets in some states
- The Latest: NRA lobbyist takes issue with Florida gun plans
- NRA, Florida face backlash after latest school shooting
- WATCH: Eyewitness captures on video a reported tornado in Arkansas
- WATCH: American men's bobsledding team in their final race of the season
- WATCH: Ivanka Trump and senior advisor calling for maximum pressure on North Korea
- WATCH: Couple's honeymoon cruise turns into a medical nightmare
- WATCH: Mother and daughter in a violent shootout with an armed robbery
- WATCH: NRA fighting back after school shooting
- WATCH: School deputy failed to respond on time resigns
- WATCH: Severe weather threat sweeping across at least a dozen states
- WATCH: Sheriff investigates reports that 3 other deputies failed to respond to Florida school shooting