An eight metre-tall totem pole will soon stand in North Vancouver, recognizing countless missing and murdered Indigenous women.
On Wednesday, elders from the Squamish First Nation blessed the ground where it will stand — exactly 28 years since the tragic shooting at École Polytechnique in Montreal.
Elder Eugene Harry says the pole is also a tribute to those 14 lives lost on one of the darkest days in Canadian history.
“Today is to honour the earth, honour the missing women, honour father sky — and mostly put everyone’s mind at ease that women aren’t forgotten,” said Harry following the blessing.
Michelle Dodds with the North Shore Women’s Centre says the pole is also meant to acknowledge the many women who continue to suffer in silence.
“Violence is still really prevalent, and as we speak we recognize that there are people who are not here because it’s not safe for them to be here,” said Dodds.
RCMP participate in ceremony
The pole will stand just metres outside North Vancouver’s RCMP detatchment. Officers also participated in the ground-blessing ceremony.
Superintendent Chris Kennedy says the totem pole symbolizes the police force’s responsibility to maintaining safe communities across the country.
“We’ve made significant strides in our approaches to domestic violence,” said Kennedy. “Hopefully this ceremony — and the totem pole that will be laid — is a representation of that bond and relationship between what our responsibilities and professional duties are.”
“Any one domestic is one too many.”
North Vancouver mayor Darrell Mussatto hopes the pole will become a significant cultural space in the city — a place where people can reflect on where society needs to improve.
“We do have to treat women and girls much better than we do now,” said Mussatto, noting the tragic history of missing and murdered Indigenous women.
“The way men treat women is abysmal — and we have to change that.”
The totem pole will be carved by Squamish artist Jody Broomfield. It’s expected to be complete by summer, 2018.
Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to the overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine. – Proverbs 3:9-10
USA News Headlines
- California Governor's grim outlook on wildfires: This is the new normal
- A look at the California wildfires' jaw-dropping numbers
- It's not just spraying water: How the pros fight wildfires
- Photos: Southern California on fire
- Alabama Senate readers' guide: What to watch for and when
- Doug Jones touts celebrity endorsements
- Trump recorded robocall for Roy Moore
- Schiff: Criticisms of Mueller probe meant to discredit potential future charges
- Alabama voters struggle with whether to support Roy Moore
- Randi Zuckerberg's pop-up kitchen serves up tech for kids
- Sony unleashes the cuteness with new robot dog
- Bill Gates invests $80 million to build Arizona smart city
- Recovering addict uses passion for pit bulls to create dog shelter
- Parents concerned over Facebook-made curriculum
- PD: Mayor used dead woman's handicap sticker
- Veteran turns 100 on Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Family sells Christmas tree to fight ALS
- Vandals tackle 25-foot inflatable Santa
- Firemen replace stolen Christmas gift
- Fat squirrel steals snacks from family
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Sexual misconduct often part of the job in hospitality work
- As California firefighters get ahead of some wildfires, others still rage
- New evacuations as huge Southern California fire flares up
- Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims
- Winter storm bids farewell to the snow-covered Northeast, blast of cold air is next
- The Latest: Officials urge Santa Barbara residents to flee
- WWE wrestler Rich Swann suspended after arrest for allegedly battering wife
- 5 years after Sandy Hook shooting, plans for a permanent memorial take shape
- Idaho man upset with court tries to crash into courthouse
- Puerto Rico's Maria death toll climbs to 64, as FEMA assistance tops $1 billion
- Police link 4th freeway shooting to same suspects in Detroit
- California man freed after 15 years for shaken baby death
- Shelby bucks Alabama GOP leaders in voting against Moore
- WATCH: California's Thomas fire intensifying
- WATCH: 8-year-old New Jersey boy in spirit of giving back to Puerto Rico
- WATCH: Baker Mayfield, University of Oklahoma's star quarterback, wins 2017 Heisman trophy
- WATCH: Scam warning from hit home improvement TV show
- WATCH: Convicted serial killer says he killed even more people
- WATCH: New developments in series of shooting on Detroit highway
- WATCH: Weather threats on both sides of the country