Josh Pringle, CTV Morning Live
Published Monday, December 4, 2017 9:34AM EST
Last Updated Monday, December 4, 2017 9:39AM EST
The Somerset West Community Health Centre has received the green light to open a supervised injection site.
The health centre on Eccles Street in Chinatown announced this morning it has been granted an exemption from Health Canada to open a facility.
It has also received program funding from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to operate the supervised injection site.
In a statement, executive director Naini Cloutier says “a supervised injection service is essential, because members of our community are dying. They are our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters.”
There is no timeline for when the supervised injection site will open at the Somerset West Community Health Centre. The centre is still waiting for infrastructure funding needed to make renovations to the facility.
This is the third supervised injection site approved for Ottawa. The Sandy Hill Community Health Centre received approval to open a supervised injection site in July. The Sandy Hill Community Health Centre is currently operating an interim site at the Ottawa Public Health sexual health clinic on Clarence Street while it finishes renovations to its facility in Sandy Hill.
Ottawa Inner City Health received its licence for a supervised injection site on November 6. That facility is located in a trailer at the Shepherds of Good Hope in Lowertown.
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- Attempted NYC terrorist attack: 3 hurt, 1 in custody
- Mayor: Explosion was attempted terror atttack
- Witness: Dozens of ambulances in the area
- Explosion near Port Authority bus terminal
- GOP tax negotiators — slowly but surely — hammering out final details
- Alabama Senate readers' guide: What to watch
- Inside 48 hours critical to the Russia investigation
- Trump accuser: He has escaped unscathed
- 2 senators call for Trump's resignation over sexual assault, harassment allegations
- Sony unleashes the cuteness with new robot dog
- Secret message apps on the rise at work
- Siri, what's that song? Apple buys Shazam
- Recovering addict uses passion for pit bulls to create dog shelter
- Parents concerned over Facebook-made curriculum
- PD: Mayor used dead woman's handicap sticker
- Veteran turns 100 on Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Family sells Christmas tree to fight ALS
- Vandals tackle 25-foot inflatable Santa
- Firemen replace stolen Christmas gift
- Fat squirrel steals snacks from family
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Suspected terrorist detonates explosive device near New York City's Times Square
- NYC explosion suspect self-inspired from ISIS online propaganda: Sources
- Huge California wildfire in Ventura, Santa Barbara counties has burnt 230,000 acres
- Mass shootings aren't more frequent _ but they are deadlier
- 'One of my nightmares': Pipe bomb attack hits in NYC subway
- Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims
- Woman charged in pregnant neighbor's death pleads guilty
- Witness of explosion at major NYC transit hub: 'I believe in God today!'
- Midwest and Northeast brace for bitter cold, more snow
- As California firefighters get ahead of some wildfires, others still rage
- Sexual misconduct often part of the job in hospitality work
- Coach who allegedly ran away with teen being extradited to Florida
- 21 Rohingya women recount rape by Myanmar armed forces
- WATCH: 'The Briefing Room': Terror attack near New York's Times Square
- WATCH: Singing elementary school custodian spreads cheer in the hallways with voice
- WATCH: Bride uses her dog as flower girl: 'She's my little shadow'
- WATCH: Witness of explosion at major NYC transit hub: 'I believe in God today!'
- WATCH: Explosive detonates below NYC transit hub in 'attempted terrorist attack'
- WATCH: Woman with breast cancer 'overwhelmed' by breast milk donations
- WATCH: Possible pipe bomb explodes below major bus terminal in NYC, suspect in custody