There are more options on the table for the future of Northlands Coliseum.
Mayor Don Iveson said the city will be looking for a private real estate company to redevelop the land.
“That might be another solution that doesn’t have taxpayers on the hook,” Iveson said at city hall Wednesday.
However, Iveson said no new information has been brought forward to council that would suggest an economic benefit to the city by keeping the historic building open.
The mayor has not ruled out demolishing the old arena. But he said the best course of action is to find out first exactly how much demolishing the building would cost.
In September, Northlands estimated the cost of demolition at $8 million. A report presented to city council Tuesday showed different numbers, projecting the cost of demolition at between $15 million to $25 million.
Before the building can be taken down, it would have to be stripped of environmental hazards such as asbestos. Some elements of the building, including copper wiring, could be saved for re-sale at a later date.
The mayor said he is reconsidering the arena’s future because of public pushback against demolition. He said he wants to bring the options of demolition or redevelopment to the public in the new year.
“I just got frustrated thinking about how much the demolition was going to cost,” Iveson said
The Coliseum opened in 1974 and has been called many names since — the Edmonton Coliseum, Skyreach Centre and Rexall Place. The Edmonton Oilers won five Stanley Cups in a decade when the Coliseum was their home arena.
Northlands is set to close on Jan. 1, when the Coliseum and the land north of 118th Avenue will become the city’s responsibility. The rest of the land south of 118th Avenue will become property of the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC).
Iveson is hoping to bring both options to an area redevelopment planning committee early in the new year.
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, have an abundance for every good work. – 2 Corinthians 9:8
USA News Headlines
- Failures mark week of stunning revelations
- FBI was warned that gunman was 'going to explode'
- Deputies were outside school when police arrived, sources say
- Teacher: I'm supposed to be a gun expert?
- Here's Florida governor's plan to keep students safe
- This Texas school district already arms its teachers
- Bullets flew for 4 minutes as armed deputy waited outside
- Analysis: This proves a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun
- Officer responded to school shooting knowing son and wife were inside
- Meet the Mueller team
- What is Adam Schiff's next political move?
- The life and career of Robert Mueller
- Parkland survivor tells Melania Trump: To combat cyberbullying, start with Trump Jr.
- Why the NRA is so powerful on Capitol Hill
- For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
- How does KFC run out of chicken?
- Asia wants some of Trump's infrastructure billions
- 9-year-old Girl Scout collects boxes of cookies for police officers
- Travelers react to companies boycotting NRA
- Family offers $10,000 for missing CDC employee
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Woman fatally stabbed with hunting knife at public library
- At least 4 dead after reported tornadoes, flooding sweep through the South
- NRA spokeswoman becomes new face of gun rights movement
- Growing list of companies are cutting ties with NRA
- A fertility doctor's secret, a special kinship decades later
- 5 dead after tornado, flooding from central US storms
- White nationalist's college tour mired in litigation
- Florida to investigate police response to school shooting that killed 17
- With teens' 'raging passions' and fights, guns in schools 'not a good idea': Teacher
- Gay parade permit sparks major debate in Mississippi
- Billy Graham played complicated role in US race relations
- GOP tax law boosts income taxes, budgets in some states
- Sheriff slams state rep's 'disingenuous' calls for his removal over school shooting
- WATCH: The best moments from the Winter Games
- WATCH: A mother and daughter fighting back against an armed robbery
- WATCH: Florida high school students prepare to go back to school after deadly shooting
- WATCH: Eyewitness captures on video a reported tornado in Kentucky
- WATCH: American men's bobsledding team in their final race of the season
- WATCH: Ivanka Trump and senior advisor calling for maximum pressure on North Korea
- WATCH: Couple's honeymoon cruise turns into a medical nightmare