There are more options on the table for the future of Northlands Coliseum.
Mayor Don Iveson said the city will be looking for a private real estate company to redevelop the land.
“That might be another solution that doesn’t have taxpayers on the hook,” Iveson said at city hall Wednesday.
However, Iveson said no new information has been brought forward to council that would suggest an economic benefit to the city by keeping the historic building open.
The mayor has not ruled out demolishing the old arena. But he said the best course of action is to find out first exactly how much demolishing the building would cost.
In September, Northlands estimated the cost of demolition at $8 million. A report presented to city council Tuesday showed different numbers, projecting the cost of demolition at between $15 million to $25 million.
Before the building can be taken down, it would have to be stripped of environmental hazards such as asbestos. Some elements of the building, including copper wiring, could be saved for re-sale at a later date.
The mayor said he is reconsidering the arena’s future because of public pushback against demolition. He said he wants to bring the options of demolition or redevelopment to the public in the new year.
“I just got frustrated thinking about how much the demolition was going to cost,” Iveson said
The Coliseum opened in 1974 and has been called many names since — the Edmonton Coliseum, Skyreach Centre and Rexall Place. The Edmonton Oilers won five Stanley Cups in a decade when the Coliseum was their home arena.
Northlands is set to close on Jan. 1, when the Coliseum and the land north of 118th Avenue will become the city’s responsibility. The rest of the land south of 118th Avenue will become property of the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC).
Iveson is hoping to bring both options to an area redevelopment planning committee early in the new year.
If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land; – Isaiah 1:19
USA News Headlines
- California Governor's grim outlook on wildfires: This is the new normal
- A look at the California wildfires' jaw-dropping numbers
- It's not just spraying water: How the pros fight wildfires
- Photos: Southern California on fire
- Alabama Senate readers' guide: What to watch for and when
- Doug Jones touts celebrity endorsements
- Trump recorded robocall for Roy Moore
- Schiff: Criticisms of Mueller probe meant to discredit potential future charges
- Alabama voters struggle with whether to support Roy Moore
- Randi Zuckerberg's pop-up kitchen serves up tech for kids
- Sony unleashes the cuteness with new robot dog
- Bill Gates invests $80 million to build Arizona smart city
- Recovering addict uses passion for pit bulls to create dog shelter
- Parents concerned over Facebook-made curriculum
- PD: Mayor used dead woman's handicap sticker
- Veteran turns 100 on Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Family sells Christmas tree to fight ALS
- Vandals tackle 25-foot inflatable Santa
- Firemen replace stolen Christmas gift
- Fat squirrel steals snacks from family
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Sexual misconduct often part of the job in hospitality work
- As California firefighters get ahead of some wildfires, others still rage
- New evacuations as huge Southern California fire flares up
- Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims
- Winter storm bids farewell to the snow-covered Northeast, blast of cold air is next
- The Latest: Officials urge Santa Barbara residents to flee
- WWE wrestler Rich Swann suspended after arrest for allegedly battering wife
- 5 years after Sandy Hook shooting, plans for a permanent memorial take shape
- Idaho man upset with court tries to crash into courthouse
- Puerto Rico's Maria death toll climbs to 64, as FEMA assistance tops $1 billion
- Police link 4th freeway shooting to same suspects in Detroit
- California man freed after 15 years for shaken baby death
- Shelby bucks Alabama GOP leaders in voting against Moore
- WATCH: California's Thomas fire intensifying
- WATCH: 8-year-old New Jersey boy in spirit of giving back to Puerto Rico
- WATCH: Baker Mayfield, University of Oklahoma's star quarterback, wins 2017 Heisman trophy
- WATCH: Scam warning from hit home improvement TV show
- WATCH: Convicted serial killer says he killed even more people
- WATCH: New developments in series of shooting on Detroit highway
- WATCH: Weather threats on both sides of the country