A section of First Street S.W. in Calgary’s Beltline area is getting a retro makeover and the city wants to know what you think.
The city has installed a series of coloured spotlights, called experiential lighting, between 12th and 13th Avenues that will give the street a bit of a disco floor feel to it, the project manager tells The Homestretch.
“Over the next week, we are going to be testing the use of colour-changing spotlights that will shine on the sidewalk,” Graham Gerylo explained.
“They are intended to create a more animated and engaging nighttime experience for the pedestrians on First Street. We are playing with creating an interesting nighttime environment, which is really when the street is the busiest with all the restaurants and bars in the area.”
He said the city is looking for feedback and comments.
“We are testing out the idea to see how citizens and businesses and property owners in the area like the lighting. We want to see if it’s successful and as engaging as people feel it is. If people love it, then the [business improvement area] and the city will work together and look at some funding strategies of how we can fund and implement this program.”
It’s just a little piece of a much larger project for the street — running from 10th Avenue to 17th Avenue S.W. — that began in 2003.
Wider sidewalks, improved crosswalks, 41 new trees, 14 new on-street parking spaces and new bike racks are all part of the package.
If you want to learn more and give your thoughts, boogie on over to the city’s website.
He who did not withhold or spare [even] His own Son but gave Him up for us all, will He not also with Him freely and graciously give us all [other] things? – Romans 8:32
USA News Headlines
- Mom and son scramble 4 times to stay out of fire's path
- California wildfires have destroyed 1,000 structures
- Skies turn orange as fires rage in California
- The wildfires by the numbers
- Woman who survived turns home into donation site for victims
- Alabama winner may not take office until 2018
- Jones: We have shown the country we can unify
- How partisanship won the Alabama election
- Democrats face tough choice on DACA
- Google wants you to experiment with new photo apps
- America's malls are rotting away
- This company can build an apartment in two weeks
- Parents keeping bullied child from school out of fear
- Doug Jones working for conservative votes
- K9 helps find missing 7-year-old
- Dogs rescued from dog meat market
- Complete stranger donates house
- Deputy's K9 found dead
- Couple's car doors stolen overnight
- Recovering addict creates dog shelter
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Senior FBI agent removed from Mueller's team repeatedly called Trump 'an idiot'
- Skirball fire sparked by illegal cooking fire, California officials say
- 23-year-old Google employee found dead in San Francisco Bay
- Mom of boy behind viral anti-bullying video speaks out after backlash
- El Faro captain partly responsible for ship's sinking: NTSB
- Student and driver die in school bus fire
- Tennessee man arrested for having 5 pipe bombs in his home
- NYC bombing suspect wrote on Facebook, 'Trump you failed to protect your nation'
- How gun laws have changed since Sandy Hook
- Would-be suicide bomber in New York City faces court hearing
- NTSB blames captain, bad safety culture for loss of El Faro
- McMaster previews new national security strategy ahead of next week's official debut
- Alleged serial killer pleads not guilty from jail
- WATCH: Alabama voters head to polls for divisive Senate race
- WATCH: 6 Democratic senators call on Trump to resign over sexual misconduct claims
- WATCH: Viewers help Talia Duff raise money for rare progressive disease clinical trial
- WATCH: Mayor of San Francisco dies after collapsing inside grocery store
- WATCH: Online holiday sales expected to top $100 billion in US for the 1st time
- WATCH: 2 people killed after being stuck inside a burning school bus
- WATCH: Authorities reveal more details on NYC subway bomber Akayed Ullah