There are many different ways and opinions of how to get rid of a cold sore, some of them involve chemicals, some are natural and some of the things you will hear are just old wives tales that will never work in a million years – the thing Is because if you have a cold sore and you want to get rid of it fast then you need to know what will work for you.
Now before giving you some tips that will act fast on your cold sore, I think it may be best to explain a little bit about the condition on the front end so that hopefully with you having an understanding of the condition then you wont have any false Expectations about long term treatments or cures.
The reason I mention false expectations is because cold sores are part of the herpes simplex virus family (also known as HSV) and the virus that gives cold sores is known as HSV1. Now, the thing is once you have a HSV1 you have it for life, so if you are being sold a permanent cure run for the hills as there has not been one developed as of yet. Also while we are being on the doom and gloom side I have to give you a word of warning, the HSV1 is highly contagious and while it is sleeping dormant in your body you can go about life as normal – but, when it breaks out as A cold sore please be respectful of other people by not kissing them or sharing any eating utensils or basically anything that touches your cold sore should not touch someone elses skin.
OK now that we have got all the doom and gloom out of the way, let's have a look at 5 quick ways how to get rid of a cold sore
1. If you feel a cold sore coming on then the first thing you can do is apply ice to the affected area, this both takes away pain from the oncoming cold sore and slows it right down too as the herpes virus does not like the cold And is repelled by it.
2. Apply something that will help destroy it – you can use an alcohol swab if you want, but I prefer to recommend either honey or tea tree oil as they are both natural and have great antiviral and anti fungal properties.
3. Get some extra Lysine into your diet as this will help combat the virus from the inside. You can do this through your diet or there are supplements available.
4. Witch Hazel Oil is another popular topical treatment which is reported to stop cold sores in their tracks when applied to the affected area.
5. Boost your immune system – the virus lives in the nervous system and attacks you when your immune system is down, so try and keep it boosted by eating a healthy diet and supplementing with vitamins and minerals.