The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:57AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:42AM EST
SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of – A 5.4-magnitude earthquake shook South Korea’s southeastern coast on Wednesday afternoon, but no casualties were immediately reported. People evacuated buildings near the epicentre and the shaking was felt in Seoul.
The quake was centred off the coast about 9.3 kilometres northwest of the port city of Pohang, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. South Korea’s state-run Korea Meteorological Administration measured the quake at the same strength but said the epicenter was inside Pohang.
Residents in the capital, more than 300 kilometres away, felt tremors and said their buildings shook. No injuries or major damages were immediately reported, according to the Korea Meteorological Administration.
It’s the strongest quake in South Korea since a 5.8-magnitude occurred near the ancient city of Gyeongju, which is close to Pohang, in September 2016, Korea Meteorological Administration officials said.
South Korea has relatively little seismic activity, unlike neighbouring Japan.
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- 15 men exonerated and 7 Chicago cops taken off the street
- Chicago police use excessive force, DOJ finds
- Senate's $1.5T tax reform bill advances out of committee
- Alabama Senate poll: Jones leads Moore
- Rep. Dingell says she was groped by 'prominent historical person' in the '80s
- Senators get into shouting match over tax plan
- DHS' head of community outreach resigns over past remarks on black community, Islam
- Lyft announces its first international expansion
- Harry Potter AR game in the works
- Men's health gets the Silicon Valley treatment
- Woman goes from being victim to officer
- Students find syringe on bus, play 'doctor'
- Dead frog found in drink at Waffle House
- Pike bomb explodes at principal's house
- Officer saves woman trapped in gunfire
- Over 1,000 books spill onto highway
- Slain detective was husband, father of 5
- Woman helps get diapers for moms in need
- Man stabs brother 4 times at uncle's funeral
- Parents raise concerns over new vaping pipes
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Trump sexual misconduct allegations 'remain very disturbing': Republican senator
- Vehicle found in hunt for gunman in traffic stop killing of Pennsylvania cop
- High winds blamed for scaffolding collapse in in busy NYC area
- Warship's collision with Japanese tug boat the latest mishap for Navy's 7th Fleet
- Family of 86-year-old man seen tased by police in video settles for $900K
- NYC subway to use gender-neutral terms during announcements
- Freezing cold weather awaits Northeast for start of holiday week
- LaToya Cantrell becomes New Orleans' 1st woman mayor
- 27 injured, others unaccounted for after massive fire at senior living center
- 'Confused' driver ends up dangling halfway off train platform
- Servicemen killed in WWII to finally be buried in California
- WATCH: Teen with prosthetic leg defies odds on football field
- WATCH: Lena Dunham defends her writer from sexual assault claim
- WATCH: Beaumont student asks teacher to adopt him
- WATCH: Woman who thinks she's taking a photo gets picture-perfect proposal
- WATCH: South Carolina town settles lawsuit over 86-year-old man tased by police
- WATCH: 2 cop killers on the loose in 2 separate states
- WATCH: 9-year-old's 911 call saves school bus driver
- WATCH: Alleged killer confesses after seeing police sketch
- WATCH: Christina Aguilera surprises family who was inspired by her song "Beautiful": Part 6