They hang on the walls of the Collingwood library – the faces and emotions of homelessness.
The photos are of Russell in Guelph, Janice in New York and many others. They are prints blown up from Leah Denbok’s new book “Nowhere to Call Home.”
“There’s two goals. We’re trying to humanize the homeless and we try to shine a spotlight on their plight. It’s definitely a growing issue,” says Denbok.
Denbok and her father Tim travelled Ontario and New York City asking and then paying people like Katherine for a picture and their story.
Katherine was touched that they even noticed her, saying “So nice of you to do this. Most people just ignore me.”
Denbok says Lucy, who dreamt of being a writer, but is addicted to opioids, is a person she just can’t forget.
“It was very troubling because she’s a very beautiful woman and she’s not much older than myself. She’s in her early 20s.”
All proceeds from the sale of the prints and book go directly to local shelters in Collingwood and Barrie. It’s money to help where it’s needed most.
“They don’t choose to be in that situation. I started to see the reality of how horrific it really is.”
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- Failures mark week of stunning revelations
- FBI was warned that gunman was 'going to explode'
- Deputies were outside school when police arrived, sources say
- Teacher: I'm supposed to be a gun expert?
- Here's Florida governor's plan to keep students safe
- This Texas school district already arms its teachers
- Bullets flew for 4 minutes as armed deputy waited outside
- Analysis: This proves a good guy with a gun doesn't always stop a bad guy with a gun
- Officer responded to school shooting knowing son and wife were inside
- Meet the Mueller team
- What is Adam Schiff's next political move?
- The life and career of Robert Mueller
- Parkland survivor tells Melania Trump: To combat cyberbullying, start with Trump Jr.
- Why the NRA is so powerful on Capitol Hill
- For self-driving cars, car washes are a nightmare
- How does KFC run out of chicken?
- Asia wants some of Trump's infrastructure billions
- Community creates cards of love and kindness for Parkland
- Teen diagnosed with myocarditis after getting cold
- Health official warns of possible measles exposure
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Woman fatally stabbed with hunting knife at public library
- Growing list of companies are cutting ties with NRA
- 3 killed across 3 southern states following reported tornadoes
- Central US bracing for major storm system that may cause tornadoes, flooding
- Sheriff investigating other deputies' whereabouts during Fla. school shooting
- Gay parade permit sparks major debate in Mississippi
- Evangelist Billy Graham's body in 130-mile procession to his hometown
- Beyond Parkland, children are wounded and killed by guns daily: Study
- GOP tax law boosts income taxes, budgets in some states
- The Latest: NRA lobbyist takes issue with Florida gun plans
- NRA, Florida face backlash after latest school shooting
- WATCH: Eyewitness captures on video a reported tornado in Arkansas
- WATCH: American men's bobsledding team in their final race of the season
- WATCH: Ivanka Trump and senior advisor calling for maximum pressure on North Korea
- WATCH: Couple's honeymoon cruise turns into a medical nightmare
- WATCH: Mother and daughter in a violent shootout with an armed robbery
- WATCH: NRA fighting back after school shooting
- WATCH: School deputy failed to respond on time resigns
- WATCH: Severe weather threat sweeping across at least a dozen states
- WATCH: Sheriff investigates reports that 3 other deputies failed to respond to Florida school shooting