Al Wishloff has had peas in his crop rotation for 33 years, but next spring, the Blaine Lake, Sask., farmer said he may replace peas with a different pulse crop.
“Once we get closer into seeding, we’ll have to examine some alternative crops other than peas. We’re sitting on some inventory right now and it’s a substantial loss if we continue, so we may have to move on to something different,” Wishloff said.
Wishloff and many other Canadian farmers are looking to cut back land devoted to pea production in the wake of India’s new tariff.
Earlier this month, the Indian government announced a 50 per cent tax on all pea imports to improve their own pulse crop economy.
Canada is India’s largest supplier of peas, chickpeas and lentils. About 50 per cent of Canadian pea production takes place in Saskatchewan, with about two million acres devoted to growing the crop, according to Saskatchewan Pulse Growers.
“We’ll likely limit yellow pea exports to India for the foreseeable future,” Carl Potts, the executive director of Saskatchewan Pulse Growers, said.
Potts said there may be a boost in Soybean production as farmers cut back peas.
“If farmers are looking for another nitrogen-fixing crop in their rotation, they may look to soybeans. Soybeans have been increasing in acres very significantly over the last few years,” Potts said.
The Indian pea import tax has no expiry date, but Potts anticipates it will be longer than a few months.
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- Border Patrol agent kills undocumented woman
- The US border is bigger than you think
- Attorney who went on racist rant apologizes
- US citizen asked for ID after speaking in Spanish
- DHS secretary defends separating families at the border
- Obamacare premiums to rise an average of 15% next year, says CBO
- Ex-Republican: What do Dems want accomplished?
- Student questions Pelosi on collusion evidence
- NASA head: 'I have no reason to doubt the science' on climate change
- She was too short to play Goofy. Then she invented Spanx. Now she's a billionaire
- Police save children, woman from ledge over a garage
- NJ lyme disease cases reach record level
- Family claims doctor is responsible for deaths
- Officer accidentally shot while changing clothes
- Father takes late son's girlfriend to prom
- Mother killed pushing stroller, toddler lives
- Woman donates kidney to coworker
- 30,000 bags of heroin seized
- Man is internet sensation for landmark sweaters
- Horses escape farm, trot down highway
ABC NEWS Headlines
- The forecast is out for the 2018 hurricane season: What experts say is in store
- 1-year-old girl dies after being left in car seat all day: Police
- Here are the 7 tweets that led to landmark court decision against Trump
- Trump to award Medal of Honor to former Navy SEAL for 'daring assault' in Afghanistan
- Suspect in woman’s disappearance is missing person accused of taking alias from grave
- Street racers kill mother pushing a stroller, police say
- Dying man who was deported after cruise docked in Florida will return to US: Lawyer
- Families of Sandy Hook victims file defamation suit against right-wing radio host
- Caught on camera: Man wanted for violently attacking car, passenger with sledgehammer
- Video of police tasing Milwaukee Bucks rookie Sterling Brown released
- 30-year-old ordered to vacate parents' home claims they harassed him
- Houston police chief battles NRA in vicious Twitter feud amid school shooting fallout
- NFL mandates standing for national anthem, banishing protesters from the field
- WATCH: The 2018 Atlantic hurricane season forecast
- WATCH: Former homeless teen gets full scholarship to Harvard
- WATCH: North Korea summit cancelled as DOJ investigation continues
- WATCH: NFL reveals new national anthem policy, Trump weighs in
- WATCH: Katty Kay and Claire Shipman discuss raising confident girls
- WATCH: 1-year-old girl dies after being left in car seat all day: Police
- WATCH: School van carrying children crashes through North Miami restaurant