A Saskatchewan woman says she was kicked out of a Chuck E. Cheese location in Regina because she uses a service dog.
Ashley Nemeth, who is blind, visited Chuck E. Cheese on Monday night with her husband and two sons as a reward for her kids’ good behavior.
“We were going to let them play some games and just have a little bit of fun but that didn’t happen,” Nemeth said.
Instead, according to Nemeth, a manager asked her to leave, citing a strict “no pets” policy.
“He called his manager and his manager actually gave him the same response, which I was surprised by,” she said. “I thought somebody has to know that this isn’t right.
Nemeth relies on her service dog, Rick, to help her with everyday tasks. She says she has never been turned away from anywhere before.
She recorded video of the alleged incident and posted it to Facebook. In it, a man can be heard saying “this store doesn’t allow any pets.” The video has since been viewed more than 37,000 times.
In a statement to CTV Regina, a Chuck E. Cheese spokesperson said service animals are “always welcome” and “we expect our employees to accommodate guests with service animals.”
“We’re in the process of re-training our employees on our policy to ensure service animals are properly permitted entrance in the future,” the spokesperson added.
Nemeth says she has taken her complaint to the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission.
She says she wants a written apology from both people involved in the incident. She also wants Canadians to understand the barriers that people with disabilities face.
“I think I just want people to know that there is discrimination happening every day all over Regina and all over Saskatchewan and Canada,” she said. “And the more people that know about it, the more people that we educate about it, the less this will happen.”
With files from CTV Regina
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- 15 men exonerated and 7 Chicago cops taken off the street
- Chicago police use excessive force, DOJ finds
- Senate's $1.5T tax reform bill advances out of committee
- Alabama Senate poll: Jones leads Moore
- Rep. Dingell says she was groped by 'prominent historical person' in the '80s
- Senators get into shouting match over tax plan
- DHS' head of community outreach resigns over past remarks on black community, Islam
- Lyft announces its first international expansion
- Harry Potter AR game in the works
- Men's health gets the Silicon Valley treatment
- Woman goes from being victim to officer
- Students find syringe on bus, play 'doctor'
- Dead frog found in drink at Waffle House
- Pike bomb explodes at principal's house
- Officer saves woman trapped in gunfire
- Over 1,000 books spill onto highway
- Slain detective was husband, father of 5
- Woman helps get diapers for moms in need
- Man stabs brother 4 times at uncle's funeral
- Parents raise concerns over new vaping pipes
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Trump sexual misconduct allegations 'remain very disturbing': Republican senator
- Vehicle found in hunt for gunman in traffic stop killing of Pennsylvania cop
- High winds blamed for scaffolding collapse in in busy NYC area
- Warship's collision with Japanese tug boat the latest mishap for Navy's 7th Fleet
- Family of 86-year-old man seen tased by police in video settles for $900K
- NYC subway to use gender-neutral terms during announcements
- Freezing cold weather awaits Northeast for start of holiday week
- LaToya Cantrell becomes New Orleans' 1st woman mayor
- 27 injured, others unaccounted for after massive fire at senior living center
- 'Confused' driver ends up dangling halfway off train platform
- Servicemen killed in WWII to finally be buried in California
- WATCH: Teen with prosthetic leg defies odds on football field
- WATCH: Lena Dunham defends her writer from sexual assault claim
- WATCH: Beaumont student asks teacher to adopt him
- WATCH: Woman who thinks she's taking a photo gets picture-perfect proposal
- WATCH: South Carolina town settles lawsuit over 86-year-old man tased by police
- WATCH: 2 cop killers on the loose in 2 separate states
- WATCH: 9-year-old's 911 call saves school bus driver
- WATCH: Alleged killer confesses after seeing police sketch
- WATCH: Christina Aguilera surprises family who was inspired by her song "Beautiful": Part 6