If you’re thinking of heading out into the great outdoors for the May long weekend but don’t know the fire risk, there is now an app for that.
The provincial government released a new fire ban mobile app on Tuesday. The Alberta Fire Bans app allows people to see where current fire bans are in the province and what restrictions and advisories are in place so that they can plan their camping trips and outdoor activities accordingly.
“I’m really excited about this app. Instead of people wondering what number they should phone, should they phone the county, town or the province, now everything is one app,” said Oneil Carlier, minister of agriculture and forestry.
“We’re looking at some very dry conditions right now coming up to the long weekend so this is another tool that people can carry around on their smartphone to make sure they’re not that person that starts that wildfire.”
The app will help people learn about the current fire risk, or provide them with the latest information on where you can and can’t start a fire.
“There is unfortunately a large number of human–caused wildfires,” added Carlier.
The dry weather so far in May has resulted in some fire bans in the province already in effect.
Since March 1, there have been 274 wildfires in the province, according to the Alberta government.
Of those fires, 99 per cent were human-caused and entirely preventable, said experts.
As of May 15, there were 88 fire bans and fire advisories in effect across the province.
Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you. – Luke 6:38
USA News Headlines
- Hero teacher tackles school gunman
- Suspect in custody after shots fired at Indiana middle school
- Teachers could get a $100,000 death benefit if they die in a school shooting
- Armed bystander kills shooter at Oklahoma restaurant
- Is Biden running for president? Because he sure sounded like it today
- Zinke claims to be geologist, again
- Newly passed House bill would OK the President's military parade
- GOP leaders hold off coup on immigration -- for now
- Richard Branson says this is one of his biggest mistakes
- The startup that wants to bring fake meat to the masses
- 7 startups that want to improve your mental health
- Man traveling down river reunited with his dog
- Boat carrying HS prom collides with docked vessel
- Shaq to pay for funeral of woman fatally shot
- Couple finds 300-pound gator in pool
- Woman searches for hero who saved her
- Students charged after school vandalized
- Water moccasin invades home
- Girl, 12, arrested after threatening note found
- Family of 6 escapes massive house fire
ABC NEWS Headlines
- 'Hero' teacher tackled gunman, student says: 'Most people would never dare'
- Middle schooler returns to class with 2 guns, shoots peer, teacher: Police
- 'You are welcome,' says good Samaritan who turned gun on restaurant shooter
- 30-year-old ordered by court to move from parents' home is offered job, bonus
- Police officer allegedly shoots, kills fellow cop brother in his home
- Judge quits after suspension for sexual acts at courthouse
- USC president to resign over scandal involving former campus gynecologist
- New $12.9 billion warship already needs upgrades and fixes
- Santa Fe family sues suspect's parents, saying guns weren't kept away from 'murderer'
- Commanding officer in deadly USS McCain collision pleads guilty
- Former NAACP leader exposed as white faces fraud charges
- Authorities: Suspected restaurant gunman had gun license
- Body camera footage shows police fatally shoot naked man
- WATCH: Detailed account of how hero teacher took down alleged Indiana school shooter
- WATCH: Hospital staff finds way for patient to watch his twins graduate from high school
- WATCH: 2 bystanders killed gunman firing on crowded restaurantgoers: Police
- WATCH: In 3 weeks, lava has smothered about 15,000 acres of Hawaii's Big Island
- WATCH: Plane passenger faces federal charges after brawl breaks out over beer
- WATCH: Defense secretary says 'possibly some good news' on Korean summit
- WATCH: Tropical storm threatens the Gulf for Memorial Day weekend