The Alberta government has set a deadline for Saskatchewan to revoke a ban on Alberta licence plates at job sites, or face a lawsuit.
Earlier Wednesday, the Saskatchewan government announced any new contracts for government work on buildings and highways will require any and all worker vehicles to not have Alberta plates.
Saskatchewan’s Highways and Infrastructure Minister David Marit said the move was “levelling the playing field for highway tender contractors,” saying workers had complained Alberta had already put in similar restrictions.
Alberta Transportation Minister Brian Mason said no such ban was in place.
“I can assure you that Alberta Transportation does not exclude vehicles with Saskatchewan licence plates from its job sites,” Mason said. “I’ve checked with the department, I’ve checked with the construction association, there is no such restriction.”
Ken Gibson, Executive Director of the Alberta Construction Association, said both sides needed to meet and discuss what happened.
“The best way to resolve this is to have the two governments sit down, and compare notes and follow up on the allegations from our Saskatchewan friends, and find out exactly what’s going on,” Gibson said.
“The impact would be additional costs, and ultimately, that means fewer jobs and quite often Alberta firms doing work in Saskatchewan are hiring Saskatchewan tradespeople.”
Economic Development Minister Deron Bilous spoke to reporters about the ban, saying the move “reeks of desperation”.
“Brad Wall is absolutely desperate, we know our economy is growing by 4 percent, their economy is in the dumps,” Bilous said.
Saskatchewan officials said staff at the province’s Ministry of Infrastructure would enforce the ban through on-site monitoring.
When asked by reporters if the measure was in violation of the New West Partnership, Marit admitted he wasn’t sure, that “it could be” a violation of the agreement.
“I felt very strongly in protecting Saskatchewan companies,” Marit said.
Bilous issued an ultimatum to the Saskatchewan government: pull the ban or head to court.
“[Saskatchewan Premier] Brad Wall needs to smarten up,” Bilous said. “He has one week to kill this ridiculous restriction or we will be taking him to court.”
With files from CTV Edmonton’s Angela Jung, CTV Regina, and The Canadian Press
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- California Governor's grim outlook on wildfires: This is the new normal
- A look at the California wildfires' jaw-dropping numbers
- It's not just spraying water: How the pros fight wildfires
- Photos: Southern California on fire
- Alabama Senate readers' guide: What to watch for and when
- Doug Jones touts celebrity endorsements
- Trump recorded robocall for Roy Moore
- Schiff: Criticisms of Mueller probe meant to discredit potential future charges
- Alabama voters struggle with whether to support Roy Moore
- Randi Zuckerberg's pop-up kitchen serves up tech for kids
- Sony unleashes the cuteness with new robot dog
- Bill Gates invests $80 million to build Arizona smart city
- Recovering addict uses passion for pit bulls to create dog shelter
- Parents concerned over Facebook-made curriculum
- PD: Mayor used dead woman's handicap sticker
- Veteran turns 100 on Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Family sells Christmas tree to fight ALS
- Vandals tackle 25-foot inflatable Santa
- Firemen replace stolen Christmas gift
- Fat squirrel steals snacks from family
ABC NEWS Headlines
- Sexual misconduct often part of the job in hospitality work
- As California firefighters get ahead of some wildfires, others still rage
- New evacuations as huge Southern California fire flares up
- Convicted serial killer Todd Kohlhepp reportedly claims more victims
- Winter storm bids farewell to the snow-covered Northeast, blast of cold air is next
- The Latest: Officials urge Santa Barbara residents to flee
- WWE wrestler Rich Swann suspended after arrest for allegedly battering wife
- 5 years after Sandy Hook shooting, plans for a permanent memorial take shape
- Idaho man upset with court tries to crash into courthouse
- Puerto Rico's Maria death toll climbs to 64, as FEMA assistance tops $1 billion
- Police link 4th freeway shooting to same suspects in Detroit
- California man freed after 15 years for shaken baby death
- Shelby bucks Alabama GOP leaders in voting against Moore
- WATCH: California's Thomas fire intensifying
- WATCH: 8-year-old New Jersey boy in spirit of giving back to Puerto Rico
- WATCH: Baker Mayfield, University of Oklahoma's star quarterback, wins 2017 Heisman trophy
- WATCH: Scam warning from hit home improvement TV show
- WATCH: Convicted serial killer says he killed even more people
- WATCH: New developments in series of shooting on Detroit highway
- WATCH: Weather threats on both sides of the country