The Alberta government has set a deadline for Saskatchewan to revoke a ban on Alberta licence plates at job sites, or face a lawsuit.
Earlier Wednesday, the Saskatchewan government announced any new contracts for government work on buildings and highways will require any and all worker vehicles to not have Alberta plates.
Saskatchewan’s Highways and Infrastructure Minister David Marit said the move was “levelling the playing field for highway tender contractors,” saying workers had complained Alberta had already put in similar restrictions.
Alberta Transportation Minister Brian Mason said no such ban was in place.
“I can assure you that Alberta Transportation does not exclude vehicles with Saskatchewan licence plates from its job sites,” Mason said. “I’ve checked with the department, I’ve checked with the construction association, there is no such restriction.”
Ken Gibson, Executive Director of the Alberta Construction Association, said both sides needed to meet and discuss what happened.
“The best way to resolve this is to have the two governments sit down, and compare notes and follow up on the allegations from our Saskatchewan friends, and find out exactly what’s going on,” Gibson said.
“The impact would be additional costs, and ultimately, that means fewer jobs and quite often Alberta firms doing work in Saskatchewan are hiring Saskatchewan tradespeople.”
Economic Development Minister Deron Bilous spoke to reporters about the ban, saying the move “reeks of desperation”.
“Brad Wall is absolutely desperate, we know our economy is growing by 4 percent, their economy is in the dumps,” Bilous said.
Saskatchewan officials said staff at the province’s Ministry of Infrastructure would enforce the ban through on-site monitoring.
When asked by reporters if the measure was in violation of the New West Partnership, Marit admitted he wasn’t sure, that “it could be” a violation of the agreement.
“I felt very strongly in protecting Saskatchewan companies,” Marit said.
Bilous issued an ultimatum to the Saskatchewan government: pull the ban or head to court.
“[Saskatchewan Premier] Brad Wall needs to smarten up,” Bilous said. “He has one week to kill this ridiculous restriction or we will be taking him to court.”
With files from CTV Edmonton’s Angela Jung, CTV Regina, and The Canadian Press
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- These are the heroes of the Florida school shooting
- Reaction: Teens raised on lockdown drills feel the weight of shooting
- Exclusive: Chat messages show shooter obsessed with race and guns
- The gunman: He's willing to plead guilty to avoid death penalty, attorney says
- 'I can't do it, Wolf': Ex-FBI agent breaks down on air
- Moment of terror: Video shows students hiding amid gunfire
- Photos: Deadly Florida school shooting
- Senators fume after immigration bill failure
- Supreme Court meets on DACA
- Mitt Romney releases ad for Utah Senate run
- Ryan says not yet time for political battles on guns
- The Trump Cabinet is traveling in style. Thanks, taxpayers!
- No more cheeseburgers in McDonald's Happy Meals
- States seek to import cheaper drugs from Canada
- Ebikes are having a breakout moment
- Slain Georgia police officer Chase Maddox laid to rest
- Thieves get away with $1,000 in skimming spree
- K-9 joins sheriff's office thanks to donations
- Locals spread kindness amid school shooting fear
- Dozens gather to honor those lost in FL
ABC NEWS Headlines
- School walkouts, sit-ins planned after Florida shooting
- Thousands grieve for slain Chicago police commander
- Florida, angry and grieving, takes gun protest to streets
- Parents who lost 2 children in alleged nanny attack reveal their kids' 'legacy'
- Passenger says teen driver panicked, hit the gas outside NSA
- Minnesota terror case shows challenge of predicting attacks
- Hundreds protest outside NRA headquarters following Florida school shooting
- Calls for gun control grow louder after Florida shooting
- 5 killed as semitrailer plows into cars in fiery crash on California freeway
- Snow bears down on Northeast; record warmth to follow
- Family of woman killed by police may not see full $37M award
- School shooting suspect would plead guilty to avoid death penalty: Lawyer
- WATCH: Attorneys for the alleged Parkland school shooter plead to avoid the death penalty
- WATCH: Survivors of the Parkland school shooting speak out
- WATCH: A winter storm moves fast across the Northeast
- WATCH: Dancers competing near Parkland, Florida, honor shooting victim Jaime Guttenberg
- WATCH: Teens who survived the school shooting speak at gun-control rally
- WATCH: FBI admits to mishandling tip about shooting suspect
- WATCH: A closer look at the victims and survivors in the Parkland school shooting
- WATCH: Woman pleads guilty to lesser charge in her fiance's kayak death: Part 5