The Alberta government has set a deadline for Saskatchewan to revoke a ban on Alberta licence plates at job sites, or face a lawsuit.
Earlier Wednesday, the Saskatchewan government announced any new contracts for government work on buildings and highways will require any and all worker vehicles to not have Alberta plates.
Saskatchewan’s Highways and Infrastructure Minister David Marit said the move was “levelling the playing field for highway tender contractors,” saying workers had complained Alberta had already put in similar restrictions.
Alberta Transportation Minister Brian Mason said no such ban was in place.
“I can assure you that Alberta Transportation does not exclude vehicles with Saskatchewan licence plates from its job sites,” Mason said. “I’ve checked with the department, I’ve checked with the construction association, there is no such restriction.”
Ken Gibson, Executive Director of the Alberta Construction Association, said both sides needed to meet and discuss what happened.
“The best way to resolve this is to have the two governments sit down, and compare notes and follow up on the allegations from our Saskatchewan friends, and find out exactly what’s going on,” Gibson said.
“The impact would be additional costs, and ultimately, that means fewer jobs and quite often Alberta firms doing work in Saskatchewan are hiring Saskatchewan tradespeople.”
Economic Development Minister Deron Bilous spoke to reporters about the ban, saying the move “reeks of desperation”.
“Brad Wall is absolutely desperate, we know our economy is growing by 4 percent, their economy is in the dumps,” Bilous said.
Saskatchewan officials said staff at the province’s Ministry of Infrastructure would enforce the ban through on-site monitoring.
When asked by reporters if the measure was in violation of the New West Partnership, Marit admitted he wasn’t sure, that “it could be” a violation of the agreement.
“I felt very strongly in protecting Saskatchewan companies,” Marit said.
Bilous issued an ultimatum to the Saskatchewan government: pull the ban or head to court.
“[Saskatchewan Premier] Brad Wall needs to smarten up,” Bilous said. “He has one week to kill this ridiculous restriction or we will be taking him to court.”
With files from CTV Edmonton’s Angela Jung, CTV Regina, and The Canadian Press
#CanadianNews #news #worldnews #headlinenews #CanadaNews Stories and much more.
USA News Headlines
- Memphis took down two Confederate statues. State lawmakers are punishing the city for it.
- December: Confederate statues come down in Memphis
- America's complicated history with its Confederate past
- Historians: 'Defending history' is complicated in the US
- Pompeo confirmation winnows down to a handful of undecided Democrats
- 7 things to know before the opening bell
- How to handle multiple saving goals
- No more passwords at work
- Video: Murder fugitive seen at Ocala Hotel
- Nissan retraining employees after offensive emails
- Severe bleeding from synthetic marijuana reported
- Orlando-bound flight bears similarities to Philly
- Elderly priest dies after home invasion
- Local company gives veteran a new roof
- Police ID man fatally shot in Sheriff's Office
- Southwest flight hits bird, goes back to Nashville
- Zoo Miami lioness spayed to protect genetic line
- 60-year-old beloved sign restored
- FDA bans powdered caffeine in bulk after death
- All-girls robotics team heading to championship
ABC NEWS Headlines
- The Latest: Southwest pilots: 'Our hearts are heavy'
- Hero Southwest pilot one of Navy's first female fighter pilots
- Southwest passenger 'did what any registered nurse would do' in attempt to save woman
- Syracuse fraternity suspended for ‘extremely racist’ video
- Blue-light special: Barbara Bush's hometown pays tribute
- Men arrested at Starbucks refused to 'make a purchase or leave,' ex-manager told 911
- Bill Cosby defense witness stumbles in explaining discrepancies in testimony
- 19 years later, Columbine principal haunted by 'worst nightmare,' inspired by action
- 3-year-old girl accidentally shoots pregnant mother from backseat of car: Police
- Bay Area earthquake could lead to massive loss of life and property: USGS report
- What we know about the bank VP who died after Southwest Airlines engine failure
- Tensions high after worst blackout since Maria plunges Puerto Rico into darkness
- Nanny found guilty of stabbing 2 children to death in New York apartment
- WATCH: Pro surfer saves lives amid torrential Hawaii rain
- WATCH: David Copperfield reveals illusion under oath
- WATCH: Puerto Rico hit by massive power outage
- WATCH: Deadly fires tear across the Southwest
- WATCH: Trump says he may leave meeting with Kim Jong Un
- WATCH: New inspections ordered on planes after deadly engine failure
- WATCH: The VR therapy designed to help sexual assault survivors heal by facing attackers